In 1918 Hino Motors Ltd, Japan, introduced their first truck to the world. Almost 100 years later the same delivery of quality trucks that are durable, and reliable continues worldwide. 51% owned by Toyota, Hino is where the world’s most successful car maker and leading edge truck design meet.
Clyde Engineering Ltd truck and bus franchise began distributing Hino vehicles throughout New Zealand in 1964. Imported from Japan, and assembled in Auckland, their first two bonneted 195hp diesel trucks were sold to Rotorua logging operators.
Hino Distributors NZ purchased the Clyde Group in 1984. In 1999 we relocated to Palmerston North, and a few years later introduced a new European influenced cab for the medium duty market. Hino Distributors NZ grew quickly, selling its 10,000th unit in 2003.
In 2004 the Sime Darby Group purchased Hino Distributors NZ. 2004 also saw the introduction of the Hino 700 Series, completing the full range of Hino 300 Series (light duty trucks), 500 Series (medium duty trucks), and 700 Series (heavy duty trucks).
In 2006 Hino introduced a new 300 Series range, with an extensive line-up of 17 models, including Hybrids. Hino was also the first manufacturer to comply with the next level of strict emission requirements, reflecting our commitment to reducing the adverse effects of the transport industry on the environment.
2014 represents 50 years of Hino in New Zealand.