Bridges welcomes Katikati bypass decision

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Transport Minister Simon Bridges has welcomed the announcement by the NZ Transport Agency to include a bypass of the Katikati town centre in the State Highway 2 Waihi to Tauranga programme.

Following the Government’s announcement of the $520 million Waihi to Tauranga programme in April last year, NZTA has undertaken further investigations to develop detailed solutions along the corridor. An assessment of the Katikati town centre concluded that a bypass should be added to the programme.

“This is a significant transport investment for the wider Bay of Plenty region.

I’m pleased that the particular concerns of the Katikati community are being taken on board as we work to improve safety and increase economic growth in the region,” says Bridges.

“While the Transport Agency will need to undertake further work to finalise the details, they are committed to removing state highway traffic from the town centre to keep people safe and improve access to Katikati.”

Bridges says the investment being made through this programme will transform State Highway 2 between Tauranga and Waihi. It will include significant safety improvements that will reduce fatal and serious injury crashes, while at the same time reducing congestion and supporting strong growth along the route.

A plan of the proposed bypass can be found here:
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/network/projects/katikati-bypass-investigation/docs/Katikati%20Bypass%20Scheme%20Plan.pdf

Leave your comment